Potassium is one of the essential minerals that the body needs. It is important for many of our bodily functions. Potassium citrate is the potassium salt of citric acid. It has important medical usages, especially in regulating acidity and control kidney stones. It is also used as a food additive to regulate acidity. Potassium citrate India is hence, used in both the pharma and the food industry.
In the food industry
Potassium citrate is used as a buffering and alkalizing agent. Its commonly used to regulate acidity on various foods and drinks. It is more commonly known in the industry as E332. The addition of potassium citrate can benefit bone health boosting mineral density, which strengthens the bone. This is especially important for older people who are at a higher risk of fracture and osteoporosis.
In the pharmaceutical field
Potassium citrate is a urinary alkalinize. It is typically taken to lower the acidity of urine. It is very effective in preventing gout, kidney stones, and dealing with metabolic acidosis and kidney diseases. It should be taken under a doctor’s prescription. It is taken orally, typically with a full glass of water. Patients also have to regularly check the pH level of their urine for proper dosage.
There are certain precautions that one should follow when taking medicine:
- Do not chew on, crush, or suck the tablet. This will release the medicine immediately in the mouth, increasing the risk of negative side effects. Instead, swallow the tablet whole.
- Do not lie down for 10 mins after taking the medication.
- Follow the doctor’s advice on dosage. Do not take more than the prescribed dosage.
- It should be taken after meals to prevent or minimize the side effects.
- Inform the doctor of any present allergies.
- There are certain medical conditions that react with this medication, such as Addison’s diseases, severe heart disease, uncontrolled diabetes, bladder infection, certain stomach ailments and the presence of high potassium level.
- The doctor may also reconsider in case of pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Side effects of potassium citrate India include vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, and diarrhea. Serious side effects include swelling, dizziness, bloody stools, constipation, and painful swallowing. Hence, it must be used as per the doctor’s advice. It raises the potassium level in the body which can lead to (though not always) muscle cramps, mood changes, dizziness, or confusion. If any such conditions arise, the doctor must be informed immediately.
In the fitness industry
Interestingly, potassium citrate is also important in the fitness Industry. It is taken by those who are trying to increase or maintain muscle mass. It also helps in maintaining energy levels and muscle function. Both are important for people who are trying to lose weight or are following a fitness regime. It can also be helpful for menopausal women who are losing muscle mass.
For people on diet, taking oral potassium citrate India is recommended because dieting impacts enzyme activity that controls potassium flow in the body. As an essential mineral, the lack of potassium citrate can have seriously negative repercussions.