Diabetes is one of the most wide-spread diseases in India. It is also known by the rather ominous name of ‘the silent killer’. The term comes from diabetes seemly innocuous nature, which can turn fatal. This disease affects virtually our entire body, making it weak from within. It also makes it imperative that diabetes is managed effectively from the initial stages. By being proactive about its treatment, we can manage to avoid its corrosive effect on our body.
Today we have the best PCD pharma companies specializing and catering to diabetics. Given the spread of the disease, this is not surprising. The treatment can come in many forms, from the chemical-rich pharmaceuticals to the completely nature-based Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Diabetes
Ayurveda is extremely effective in managing diabetes. It uses completely natural ingredients to make drugs that regulate blood sugar. But more importantly, Ayurveda takes a larger holistic approach where diabetes is treated through multiple steps to change our way of life. This is critical in managing a disease like diabetes, which is essential for lifestyle disease.
There are four steps in Ayurvedic diabetes management:
- Vyaayam (Exercise)
- Pathya (Diet)
- Panchakarma (Purification procedures)
Regular exercise is extremely important for managing diabetes. Diabetics have too much glucose in their blood because their body is unable to process it properly. So, the main aim of managing diabetes is actually to manage the glucose level in the blood. Drugs are one means of doing this, but what if you could do this without taking anything orally? Exercise is the only means of achieving this. Through exercise, muscles use up the blood sugar without any outside assistance. More importantly, regular exercise also helps us in preventing other long-term diseases like heart diseases, which a condition like diabetes often complicates.
Hence, Ayurveda recommends including a regular exercise routine in our daily life. This can be something as simple as a brisk walk. Yoga is highly recommended here. Aasanas like Soorya namaskara, Mandukasana, and Pawana muktasana should be included in our daily workout.
Diet and Panchkarma
A proper diet is the main concern in diabetes management. Because a diabetic cannot process the sugar in their blood, their sugar intake has to be kept to the minimum. In addition, the body must be kept clear of toxins with pure foods. We have PCD pharma companies that offer various formulations that help in the purification procedures. Some simple dietary measures where are:
- Never skip a meal and eat on time.
- Only consume whole grains like wheat and brown rice.
- Minimize your fat content.
- Include food like sprouted green gram, horse gram, and barley. These can be taken as a salad or made into soup.
- Foods that should be eaten every day are methi, flax seeds, onion, garlic, and cinnamon.
- Fruits and vegetables that are good for a diabetic are apples, berries, carrot, spinach, cauliflower, and cabbage. Apart from this, gourds and squashes are also good for diabetics. Bitter melon juice soaked methi seeds, and amla (Indian gooseberry) is particularly beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Tender coconut water is good, but the soft white flesh should be avoided.
- Food that must be avoided includes sugar, ghee, sugary food like cakes, sweets, carb-rich food, junk food, and sweetened juices.
Apart from the above measures, diabetics are also controlled through medication. This is important to ensure that your body has the basic tools to fight the disease. Some ingredients and formulations for diabetes are:
- Cinnamon powder: You can make cinnamon tea by boiling 1 tbsps of cinnamon powder with a cup of water. Cool the mixture and then drink it up.
- Amla juice: About 20 ml amla juice twice a day or amla powder dissolved in water should be taken every day. It can also be eaten raw.
- Banyan tree bark: Pieces of the bark are heated in water and then taken every day.
- Vijaysar Churna: A cube of the churna is kept in water overnight and consumed in the morning. It can also be taken in powder form twice a day.
- Triphala: Concoctions are made with Triphala powder and turmeric, to be consumed every day.
A number of PCD pharma companies today make these medicines. These are available in easy to take packages.